Monday, April 14, 2014

SO ANALOG KEYCHAINS

I've been planning on doing these keychains for years, and I finally got around to it. Once again, I had Mana Studios do the output from my digital Rhino files. Due to the small size, I'm finally able to start making some of the other So Analog figures. Atar-1, Atar-2, and Atar-3 are all based on different Atari 2600 cartridges.


I also had them do a quick silicone mold, so I did't have to give the originals to the metal factory. Not necessary, but I like having options.


These are the resin figures next to the raw Pewter samples. I like having samples from all the stages of production, if possible.


This was my 1st metal project and they're all made in Los Angeles. It was great being able to see the molds and how the whole process is done.


We switched from Pewter to Zinc. It's a cheaper metal, but also lighter and much more durable. I definitely didn't want the rings breaking easily.


The 1st batch of keychains weighed over 14 pounds. 


Images that I posted on Instagram. The filter made it tough to tell the difference between the Matte finish and the Gloss finish.


I personally gravitate to the Matte finish, but I like the Gloss too.  I couldn't decide which finish to go with, so I split the quantities 50/50.

I needed some form of packaging that worked with all 6 designs, and this is what I came up with.


 I had to punch 2 holes and cut a line in-between them for every card back. It took a while, but bagging them also took way longer than expected. 


These will be debuting at my booth #1145 at WonderCon 2014 starting on Friday April 18-20 in Anaheim CA. They'll be 10 bucks each. I'll have a few complete sets of Gloss and Matte available. So, you can get all 6 designs for 50 bucks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment